Mass deployment for Android and iOS devices
We'll create a custom APK installer for your phones or tablets with your API Key. You can reach us at email@example.com. This might take one day or two, but we’ll send it to you ASAP. As soon as you get it, please download it from every Android device you’re looking forward to add to your list and install the package. Your devices will be added when the APK installation process finishes.
With Profile Manager or any other MDM (the process is basically the same):
1. Download Prey for Profile Manager from Volume Purchase Program.
2. Go to Users (or Groups) > Settings > Edit.
3. Search on left menu: App Configuration > Configure.
4. Write ‘ com.prey’ on Bundle ID and upload the configuration file ManagedAppConfig.plist with your API Key number. Press OK.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd"> <plist version="1.0"> <dict> <key>YOUR API KEY</key> <string>empty</string> </dict> </plist>
5. Go to Users (or Groups) > Apps > ‘+’ and Select the Prey app.
6. Press the Save button to send the configuration to the devices.
7. Open Prey from device.
To image deploy Prey onto several iOS devices via Apple Configurator, please try the following:
- Install Prey as the last app on the master iOS device. You won't be able to install anything else from here.
- Disconnect from the internet and don't reconnect until the process is over. This is very important.
- Use Apple Configurator or iTunes to share the apikey.prey (just a plain text. It should include your account’s API Key number as only content) file to the master device.
- Backup the device using Apple Configurator.
- You can use the master device now, including connecting to the internet. Just don't overwrite the previous backup.
- Restore the backed up configuration on the iOS devices you wish to deploy Prey into.
- Tap the Prey icon on the restored devices. Provided that they're connected to the internet, they will show up on your Prey account afterwards.
Warning: If you do the previous process while connected to the internet (ignoring steps 1 and 2) all devices will be cloned. This means that you'll only see one device on your account, and that any action you trigger will run on all of them.
The basics for this is the same as any other image deployment: When Prey has an API Key on the config file, and no device key, it will create one on the user's Prey account. This is done on steps 1 to 4. So, please be careful. We really cannot insist enough on this point.