Using the Device Loan Manager Feature
Whether you are handling a remote or mobile workforce that needs devices assigned for specific periods of time, or you are an IT manager in a school with a laptop loan program for the students, you can use Prey to manage your device loans.
IMPORTANT: This feature is only available for macOS, Windows, and Ubuntu computers (laptops or desktops).
Where to Find the Loan Tool
To loan a device, locate it in your Control Panel device list, and click it to access its detailed view.
Once inside you will see under the device’s name and OS details the ASSIGN DEVICE button. Click it to open the assign/loan menu.
Setting up a Loan
When you click the ASSIGN DEVICE button, a new window will pop-up with the loan's configurations. Here you'll say who you assign your loan to, for how long, and what happens when the loan expires. At the moment you can create 3 types of loans with these variables:
- An open-ended assignment, without return date and no follow-up security actions. Ideal for keeping a tab on devices with permanent users, or flexible loan agendas.
- An unsecured timed loan. If you activate the "Lend device with time rule" switch, you can lend the device with a return date and no follow-up security actions upon expiration.
- A secured timed loan. By activating the "Lend device with time rule", and the "Lock device when loan ends" you create a secured loan with a return date and follow-up lock upon loan expiration. Ideal for device loans in which the device might be at risk of not being returned.
Add an Institution
Add a Contact ID for the User
If it is a Loan, Add Time Rules, and a Lock (Optional)
Locking Devices Once Overdue (Optional)
If you select a return date, you can also choose to LOCK the device when the loan ends. If you select this option, the computer will be locked behind a password of your choosing and display a message for the user (by default, it prompts the user to return the device). The personalized message on the lock screen is only available on computers with Prey 1.9.3 or higher.
Assign the Loan
What to do When the Loan Expires, or if the Device is Missing?
If you do configure a return date, the device will be monitored by Prey until the expiration date arrives and it will be then be marked OVERDUE.
When a Loan Expires
- SET DEVICE TO MISSING: If the device hasn't been returned yet, set it to missing to track and gather evidence reports.
- FINISH LOAN: If the device has been returned, simply finish the loan and it will be ready to be re-assigned!
- SECURITY ACTIONS: If you have marked the device as missing, you can use any of the tools on the right-hand actions bar to further secure and locate the device.
When a Loaned Device is Missing
How to Edit the Loan's Details
You can change the loan's settings mid-loan by using the button seen in the screenshot above. This will open the loan configuration window, where you can change any of the loan's parameters. Change the contact, add or remove time rules, change the lock and message settings, or delete the loan entirely to finish it early.